Tuesday, July 25, 2017

Tentacles of Technology

Fuming, I uninstalled FB messenger from my phone, vowing to never let it on my phone again.

Just a few hours ago I was waken up by a video chat request from someone I have never seen for years, or even talk to. I did not take the call, as per my usual social interaction level. You can only call me if you have my phone number, and that is if I gave you mine. Distance is not an issue, WhatsApp can let you call anyone in the world if you have their phone number. But FB skips that entirely, you can call anyone you want as long as you're FB friends. Even if you haven't interacted in years, you only met once at some summer camp and never since. It doesn't matter to FB. Bitch, my phone my rules. I choose who can call me and who cannot call me.

And they won't fucking let you choose to stop receiving calls! Rant end. Bye FB messenger, you won't be missed.

Even a few months ago I still had the FB app on my phone, but I have smartly disabled push notifications from them. However, the app took 600MB of storage out of my measly Nexus, and you know that Google paraphernalia takes up like another 1GB. Didn't take me much resistance to remove the app then. Also suspicious is the numerous permissions that you have to grant the apps in order to use them, so they can do their gimmicks such as going 'live'. The best thing is when I was scrolling FB on the bathroom throne as usual, and my finger goes ahead and click on the FB live button. Congrats guys, my first live video is going to be me pooping! Thankfully that did not actually happen.

I remembered a day where the Internet was more of like an alternative place, where you could join message boards anonymously, pursue interests that no one around you has, or just write about your thoughts on the www like this. When the smartphone came around, everything changed in a matter of months, the turning point being something like 2011 I believe when everyone started checking in into places and playing pretend mayor. Phones are now seamlessly integrated into the Internet, and the Internet to real life.

I would have been okay with it, it's technology catching up after all except that the companies in California are now pretty much forcing you into the world that they have created. Examples are abound on your phone, on your computer... With the computers forcing updates on you now as well, sooner or later we will have our whole lives being run by G, M, and FB. Resist the system, and they might as well deprive you of your income source, or even the basic necessities. The wild territories of Linux might as well be our last redoubt against them. Maybe right now I sound like a conspiracy theorist, but know that when I couldn't find the option to disable receiving calls, my chest has tightened as if I was choked by otherworldly forces - which in this case happened to be the tentacles of FB.

The tentacles of technology are creeping into every nook and corner of our lives, and our freedom of choice and liberty are being choked to death by its unrelenting grasp.


No comments:

Post a Comment