Monday, April 28, 2014

Vantage Point

The past few weeks are on fast forward. Events come, events gone; weeks fly by as assignments and projects occupies my nights, and lectures and meeting occupy my days. Finally passing the driving test, getting to meet Buzz Aldrin and Harrison Schmidt and other astronauts (first time!), and having the solar car’s first design review meeting, and finally making our first milestone in my job - putting up curtain rails. Lol.

In the midst of all that buzz, I still find time to lie down on the grass on the warmer days. Moments of respite like this, are the things that keeps me from going insane. Not that schoolwork is horrible, the subjects are quite interesting on its own but put four intensive courses together and anyone is bound to not focus on any one of them. Institutionalized education is just like that - giving you a barrage of information first just to be safe, and see how you will use it later in your life.

Last Friday after the driving exam I told Moy about my ideal philosophy for studying - as said by the mechanical engineer and designer of KURATA - learn something in order to get the job done. Ideally, you would pick up a book to answer a question that’s in your head, not to answer someone else’s question. But what if we stop having questions? Must we continually be coerced into answering other people’s questions in order to come up with ours? Education policy is an interesting topic just like that.

I miss those days where I could go off tangents on all these mad topics and write long essays and op-ed wannabes, exploring the limits of my understanding of the world, politics, education and the issues that plagues society. This blog of mine is a treasure trove of what was in my mind long past. Specialization, good for your career but it really limits what you think of in the future. As much as I envy the people who can wholeheartedly dive into a field of interest and reach the pinnacle of understanding, I am still not that willing to give up the forest for the tallest tree.

Or maybe, when you climb up the tallest tree, you actually have a better view of the forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment