Thursday, January 12, 2012

Still

The outcome was kind of predicted already, especially after the big mess of the interview. However, it still stings to see the ‘Unsuccessful’ word on my UCAS application to the University of Cambridge. Bye, Gonville and Caius.

Stephen Hawking was one of my idol in my secondary school years since I read his groundbreaking book A Brief History Of Time, with his theories about black hole radiation, cosmic stuff and the GUT(Grand Unified Theory) despite being immobilised by the disease that made him dependent on the wheelchair. In the Science stream, I also got to know more about the ingenuity of Isaac Newton – previously just known as ‘the guy who discovered gravity after having an apple bumped on his head’, as a fella who invented (or rediscovered, according to some sources) calculus, formulated the laws of motion that covers the basic particles to planetary orbits. And both of them had links to the Lucasian Chair of the University of Cambridge.

Cambridge is a fantasy, the pinnacle of knowledge as I once thought what all universities were – a place where knowledge flow freely and are pursued without hesitation, a place free from the bonds of society. Now looking at the universities around me, they’re more like degree factories or just further schooling. It has also inspired me to work hard to aim for the top universities which only offer such an environment. However, reality struck in in the sheer realization that there are many more smarter and more capable persons than I am. There is so much more talent in this world.

My current pursuing in the field of aerospace, or more specifically, astronautics is also in a form, a rekindling of a childhood dream of joining the best teams in the world to make those spacecraft and rockets that are sent to outer space. It’s a road less taken, not by the vast majority of reality-conscious Chinese Malaysian who much more prefer steady careers as financial analysts, chemical engineers and actuarial scientists. I cross my fingers and see how far this aspiration of mine can take me to.

Hopefully, one day, I can open my eyes to the white ceilings of the Clean Room in the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, facing the next machine that is to be sent to Mars few weeks later.

I hope it’ll come true, I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment